College Media Network - Search the largest news resource for college students by college students Jobs and internships for students -

Join the Features Team!

Published: Thursday, July 23, 2009

Updated: Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Features section is unique in that it does not necessarily revolve around the occurrences or events in a given week; rather, the section hopes to produce in-depth articles that look closely at issues, debates, problems or conversations occurring at the College that week. For example, say grade inflation comes up at a VSA forum on academics and quickly becomes an issue of contention among the Council. A Features reporter could then write a story on that issue, interviewing students, faculty and administration about their thoughts on and experiences with grade inflation at Vassar. The reporter might also talk to representatives from peer institutions, and maybe even look to studies from national scholars. (It should be said that this scenario is not entirely hypothetical—in fact, this exact story was published in the April 9 issue of The Miscellany News.) Regardless, Features reporters must be willing to track down a varied and sizable group of sources and to think carefully and thoroughly about their assignment.

While in-depth, investigative articles like these are what you typically see in Features, the section also houses space for experimental forms of journalism—like narrative non-fiction—as well as articles about lectures or special events on campus.

As with other Miscellany sections, Features is always looking for reporters. No previous journalistic experience is required to become a Features reporter.

To read recent examples of Features articles, click on the links below:

2009-10 Features Staff:

Features Editor:  Emma Carmichael

Click here to see the rest of the Masthead or here to return to the  Join Our Staff page

Recommended: Articles that may interest you