College Media Network - Search the largest news resource for college students by college students Jobs and internships for students -

Join the Photography Team!

Published: Friday, July 24, 2009

Updated: Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's hard to believe that newspapers across the country—from The Miscellany News, to The Poughkeepsie Journal, to The New York Times—were once entirely devoid of pictures; today, an image or piece of photojournalism can sometimes tell the entire story—at least initially. In 1985, when the eighth President of the College Virginia B. Smith unexpectantly announced her retirement after a short tenure of eight years in office, The Miscellany News printed its front page with a few lines of text, one headline and one picture—a large, intimate portrait of the President, spanning almost the entire page. Like the news of Smith's retirement itself, the front page that week stopped students in their tracks and created an effect that would certinaly not have been possible without the photograph.

The Miscellany News considers photojournalism to be just as important as any other section or aspect of the paper. Whether getting a shot for the front page, the sports section or the website, Miscellany photographers should be creative, inventive and intrepid, always trying to get the best possible picture for the paper.

Photgraphers will work closely with the Photography Editor and the Executive Board to get photos each week and even compile slideshows and photo galleries for miscellanynews.com.

To see some recent slideshows from The Miscellany, click on some of the following links:

2009-10 Photography Staff:

Photography Editor: Kathleen Mehocic

Click here to see the rest of the Masthead or here to return to the  Join Our Staff page

Recommended: Articles that may interest you