Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

A guide to reading your course schedule

Editor in Chief

Published: Saturday, July 10, 2010

Updated: Saturday, July 10, 2010 19:07

sample schedule

Though you will undoubtedly become a pro within a week of starting classes, at first glance your course schedule may seem like it's written in a strange language. Here are the basics of your schedule, which you can find in the Student and Financial Aid section of the AskBanner website.

Major: Your major. There are spaces for two of them, but for now it will be listed as UND for undecided. Students choose their majors by the end of their sophomore year.

Cor Seq: Correlate Sequence. Again, this will be left blank. Correlates are very similar to minors at other colleges and universities.

Advisor: For now this is your pre-major advisor, who will help you make future course decisions until you declare your major, at which time you will get your major advisor.

Sfel: Your student fellow. When you get to campus, your student fellow, who will live on your floor, will be an excellent resource to lead you through your first few weeks and indeed your whole first year.

Registered vs. Waitlisted: If you are registered, which you probably will be for most if not all of your classes, then you are officially signed up for the class. However, if you see "Waitlist" in the left-hand column, then, if there is room, you will need to add the class before you can receive credit for it. The best way to get into a class in which you are waitlisted is to go to the first class anyway, even though you are not registered. The professor will usually do his or her best to make sure that you can get in, unless it is really too full. In order to add a class, you must get an add slip from the registrar and collect signatures from the course's professor and your advisor. It's best to think ahead about changes to your schedule so that you can get all of the information you need efficiently and avoid having to catch up in any classes.

Course ID: The Course ID reflects the course's department, its level (usually 100, 200, or 300 from introductory to advanced), and your course section. The course title tells you what the class will actually be about.

Cred: Credits. Most classes are worth one credit, though some classes are offered for 0.5 credits if they meet for less class time every week or are only offered for six weeks out of the semester.

Days: Each day of the week is abbreviated by only one letter, so it is important to keep in mind that "T" is for Tuesday and "R" is for Thursday.

Room: There may only be one letter that separates "SW" from "SH," but it's a difference that will seem more significant when you are trying to get to class on time on the first day. Here is a guide to building abbreviations:

AFC -Athletics/Fitness Center
BH - Blodgett Hall
CH - Chicago Hall
CP - Chapel
DF - Center for Drama and Film
DS - Doubleday Art Studio
FS - Field Station
KH - Kenyon Hall
LA - Loeb Art Studio
LI - Thompson Library
MC - Mudd Chemistry Building
NE - New England Building
NH - New Hackensack Building
OB - Vassar College Observatory
OH - Olmsted Hall
OLB - Old Laundry Building
PT - Powerhouse Theater
RH - Rockefeller Hall
SC - Eleanor Butler Sanders Hall
SH - Skinner
SP - Sanders Physics
SW - Swift Hall
T - Taylor Hall EH - Ely Hall
WA - Walker Field House

Grade Opt.: For some courses you may decide to use the Non-Recorded Option (NRO) or elect to audit a class, leaving it ungraded (NG). For the NRO, you decide the minimum grade that you would accept for the course. If you achieve that grade or higher, then it will appear on your transcript, but if you do not, then the grade will not be recorded—hence the name. There are some restrictions to using the NRO, so if you plan on taking a class NRO, make sure that the option is allowed.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out